Do you live with a Shih Tzu? Perhaps you are thinking that this is a dog breed that you could really get to know and love? Maybe you have said for most of your life that the Shih Tzu is the dog breed for you?
But do you know, I mean really know, the breed? There are some things that a Shih Tzu owner must know, read on to find out what they are;
1. The Shih Tzu is a companion dog and needs companionship. This is one of the main things that the owner of a Shih Tzu must keep in mind. This is a little dog that has lived with people for more generations than we could possibly know about. He was given as a gift to be a special friend to humans. This dog breed needs company or he will be unhappy, so don’t get a Shih Tzu if you are at work all day and can’t make arrangements for someone to keep him company whilst you are gone.
2. The Shih Tzu can be stubborn. This little dog has learned, over the years how important that he is. He loves company but will not be coerced into anything that he believes does not benefit him. This trait is exactly the reason that the little Shih Tzu is perfect for positive dog training.
3. When motivated he is unstoppable. The Shih Tzu may seem lazy and unwilling during training sessions but this is usually due to only one reason, he is not motivated. When you find out exactly what motivates this dog breed he will do anything that you ask from him and much, much more. So if the Shih Tzu in your midst will not do as he is asked take a look at what you are offering in return and therein is the reason for his lethargy.
4. The Shih Tzu does not speak English. This breed of dog will not understand what your words mean unless he has learned them. So many people expect their dog to know what they are asking despite the fact that they are asking in a completely foreign language. The Shih Tzu may be trying his hardest to please you but if he has no clue what you are saying how can he do what you ask of him?
5. The Shih Tzu will offer love and loyalty forever more. Do not be concerned if you get your training wrong, can’t motivate him or forget to show your Shih Tzu how much you appreciate him at times. This little dog will offer you unstoppable love, loyalty and a lot of laughs during your time together. He will be your friend, probably your best friend ever.
Overall the Shih Tzu is a wonderful, smart, friendly, loving and loyal dog that is generally easy to take care of. He is a lot more intelligent than he may let on but it’s impossible to miss his rapid spring to action when motivated. If you are looking for an amusing and unstoppable little friend then the Shih Tzu may be just the dog for you!
These are just a few Shih Tzu facts. Why not explore our Shih Tzu website for many, many more.